Kara Alan, MACP
Kara Alan, MACP
Registered Provisional Psychologist at Calgary Weight Management Centre
Kara Alan is a Registered Provisional Psychologist with a passion for supporting patients as they move towards living a full, whole, and healthy life. She will meet you where you are, without judgment.
Every patient will have different goals and the steps one person takes will likely be different from another. Most patients’ goals, however, are related to having a happy and fulfilling life that is not overshadowed by food, exercise, and body image concerns. Working with Kara, patients of all ages will learn to:
- Learn skills to manage stress and anxiety instead of using food or other unhealthy coping mechanisms
- Learn how to listen to and honour their body
- Increase positive mood and decrease depression by challenging negative thoughts and beliefs
- Engage in social activities without being restricted by anxiety surrounding the presence or absence of food
- Improve their relationships by better understanding how to communicate their needs and how to set boundaries
- Participate in the things they enjoy without limitations
Kara works with patients in 1-1 sessions and also enjoys facilitating groups. In addition to working with individuals’ body image and weight concerns, she has experience working with individuals with addictions, and experience working with women with pelvic pain and sexual concerns, as well as their partners. Kara enjoys training her therapy mini horse-in-training, baking, horseback riding, and travelling with her husband.