Enjoy Indian flavors without lingering odors using the Instant Pot
Chicken Tikka Masala (Instant Pot)
Homemade chicken tikka masala with a 10 minute cooking time and minimal odors? I know, the instant pot is an amazing kitchen gadget! One of the many features of an instant pot is its incredible seal. This results in an odorless kitchen that doesn't doesn't heat up either. If you live in a small home, townhouse, or condo, this appliance is worth its weight in gold! For more information on the features of an instant pot, click here.
Don't forget to try this curry dish over instant pot basmati rice (click for recipe). You can store this dish in the fridge for up to 4 days, so it is a great idea to make it on the weekend to have ready in the fridge for after work. Simply make your rice the night of the meal, reheat the curry, and dinner is ready!
Total Time: 20 min
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth divided
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes juices included
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt (or coconut milk or half-and-half - but the calories will be much higher)
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- 2-3 cups cooked basmati rice to serve over
- Sauté the aromatics: Set an electric pressure cooker to the sauté feature. Add the oil and heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until soft and fragrant. The mixture might stick a little to the bottom of the pot; this is normal.
- Deglaze and add spices: Add 1/4 cup of the chicken broth. Cook, gently scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to loosen any stuck-on bits, until the chicken broth reduces by half. Add the garam masala, paprika, turmeric, salt, and cayenne pepper, and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken, broth, and tomatoes: Add the chicken and stir to combine. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of chicken broth and the tomatoes.
- Pressure-cook: Close and lock lid. Pressure-cook for 10 minutes at HIGH pressure. When cooking time is complete, do a quick release of the pressure.
- Add the creamy element: Stir the yogurt, half-and-half or coconut milk into the sauce. Top with chopped cilantro and serve over rice.
Amount Per Serving not including rice (6)
- Calories: 352, Protein: 36 g, Sugar: 4.4 g, Carbohydrate: 10.3 g, Fat: 18.6 g, Cholesterol: 181 mg, Sodium: 712 mg, Fiber: 1.6 g